Monday, June 4, 2012

REALLY Not Thinking With Portals

I'm just going to admit it; I don't like the linked_portal_door as much as I thought I would. Granted, it's pretty easy to use and the possibilities it opens up are completely insane but it's also very buggy and looks terrible at lower graphical settings.

The entity has a much shorter draw distance than I thought. From far away it looks like a bright white rectangle, completely ruining the illusion. I've looked on forums and apparently there's no solution. Either I have to use these doors in much smaller rooms or accept that people that don't have shader quality ramped up to High are going to think I'm an incompetent rube.

The map proper is almost done; all the vital testing elements are in their place and all that's left is some sprucing up to do. But honestly, I'm not happy. This minor fiasco with the world portals has left a bad taste in my mouth. Now that I know how temperamental they are I don't think I'll be working with them again. If I make another Portal map it won't have any mind-boggling geometry. A sad state of affairs to be sure.

In the meantime, here's some things from the evidence bin:



There's no point in hiding it: Frankenturrets are my favorite testing element.



Getting fancy at the Bath and Body Works.



Strangely enough, the walls were the most complicated part about building this room.

No comments:

Post a Comment