Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Furthest Reaches

I've run into a pretty strange problem with Insomnia this week. Last night I was compiling it while Stress was blaring in the background. I was delighted when the song and compile finished at the same time. I wasn't delighted, however, when I looked around the map and found that nothing had changed. Nothing. This was especially embarrassing because my Grandmother was there to watch me try and play it off.

"Oh. It's exactly the same as if I hadn't built anything...Um, I meant to do that." I said as I desperately searched for any sign of the last two day's work.

I immediately checked the compile log and found a disturbing error...


See where it says VERY FULL! in that chart-looking section? Notice how entdata is at 116.5%?

I was stunned when I realized what went wrong, Insomnia has gotten too big. I actually made too much and Hammer gave up. I don't know how to explain myself, it feels like Hammer is trying to tell me, "Stop! Ok, we get it, you want to make the best map ever but if you think I'm gonna try and make sense of all these brush faces you can just forget it!".

Honestly, I think I should get an achievement for this. I broke my map by making too much stuff. I didn't even know that was possible.

Oh well, I guess this could be a blessing in disguise. I didn't really like any of the new section anyway. It was a large tunnel like area with a huge fan and some catwalks and it just didn't feel right to me. Which was a shame because later I was planning on making a museum section, a recreation of my house and a secret project that I've unofficially dubbed The Tunneling Entanglement Device.

Maybe Insomnia was trying to telepathically tell me that I just need to stop and wrap this thing up. Either way, the major brush work for the map is done whether I like it or not so that means we're actually all the more closer to finishing it!

See, if I've learned anything from watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic this week it's that I've learned how to make the best of a truly terrible situation like this...and that friendship is magic.

So yes, the good news is that Insomnia is actually closer to being done because it is physically impossible to make any more. The bad news is that I'm still going to watch a girly cartoon about ponies when no one is looking.

1 comment:

mom said...

my little ponies? really? sighhhh

Post a Comment